This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 667 1597
- Opening times Mon Wed–Sun 2–10.30pm. Closed Tue.
- Food served Wed–Mon 4.30–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5.30–7.30pm (only on Festival Theatre performance days)
- Average price £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95 two £13.95 three courses
- Website www.newsaffrani.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2015 edition.
Nestled on a cobbled street near Old College, New Saffrani is not the usual student retreat you might expect from this part of town. Instead of cut-price cuisine, crisp white linen and folded black napkins await you, as does a selection of inviting Indian food with a few unexpected additions including crispy chilli squid and haggis naan bread. The staff are attentive despite the busy whirr of takeaway orders and there are cooling yoghurt lassi drinks on offer from banana to strawberry, along with a selection of wine and beers. For starters the vegetable samosas are beautifully moist and generously filled, while for mains there are a wide number of vegetarian, fish and meat options from the expected traditional curries such as chicken dopiaaza, spiced with the perfect amount of kick, to house specialities including Goan fish curry. Still a relatively new kid on the block after its opening in 2013, New Saffrani has a lot to offer the Edinburgh curry scene.
- High point: The wide and inviting menu
- Low point: Rice portions would benefit from being smaller
- Notable dish: Murgh Saffrani Lazeerz
Promoting True Taste of India. Eat from the street of India menu.
Our experienced chef is pleased to present New Saffrani to the curryholic Scottish public that has an insatiable inquisitiveness for new dishes, new ingredients and new experiences. Many of these dishes have never graced Scottish restaurants or are very hard to source. For guidance or to satisfy your curiosity, simply ask our chef, and he'll be only too happy to explain the origins of each dish.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: £1- £3
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indian
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2013
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle