- Telephone 0141 334 4040
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri–Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6pm
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.bothyrestaurant.co.uk
With a plum location in an atmospheric West End nook, the Bothy is as Scottish as its own thistle-patterned wallpaper.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Cobbled and traffic-free, Ruthven Lane off Byres Road is a great place to tuck away a restaurant. The Bothy makes the most of its location here, with vintage-style etched-glass doors opening on to an outdoor seating area complete with potted greenery and tables used year-round – wind and rain permitting, of course. If that sounds a little Mediterranean then inside is pure unadulterated Scottish, with thistle-pattern wallpaper, open fireplaces and kilted waiting staff – the design aiming for the look of a Highland shooting lodge. Food is hearty, largely Scottish-inspired dishes with few surprises – there’s chicken stuffed with black pudding, excellent fish and chips, quality Scotch beef and lamb, and a juicy steak-and-haggis burger. Unsurprisingly the Bothy attracts tourists and business visitors with its teuchtery theme, although a two-course ‘braw deal’ menu pulls in more locals before 6pm. Part of the G1 Group’s portfolio of pubs and restaurants, the Bothy has an unavoidable chainy feel to it, but good cooking and a welcoming atmosphere make for a decent night out.
- High point: Outdoor area – in the right weather
- Low point: No bread offered with starters
- Notable dish: Roast rump of Ayrshire lamb, chorizo, sautéed potatoes, broad beans
- Private dining: 24 / 8
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: MOR
- Live entertainment: Acoustic guitar music on Fri nights
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Enjoy special £15 and £25 menus at top Glasgow restaurants with Dining in the City
Dining in The City in support of The Prince & Princess of Wales Hospice offers foodies the chance to sample special set menus, priced at £15 or £25, at over 60 of Glasgow’s finest eateries.