- Telephone 0131 477 8477
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 10am–8.30pm; Fri & Sat 10am–9pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–7.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–9pm.
- Website www.amber-restaurant.co.uk
Not just for whisky lovers, this relaxed spot serves classic Scottish dishes with occasional contemporary twists.
Just down from Edinburgh Castle, Amber produces good, hearty Scottish food for a reasonable price. Situated beneath the Scotch Whisky Experience, the restaurant is surprisingly bright and airy thanks to its position on the side of a hill, although the broad array of tables, hard chairs and refrigerated display cabinet do scream cafeteria. The wide selection of mains include a tender sirloin steak served with an intense mushroom sauce and a small golden potato cake, while guinea fowl is moist but a little overwhelmed by an overly salted gravy. Other options include rump of venison and pan-fried hake, along with their signature tapas-style pots, like lamb stovies, beef casserole and pearl barley risotto. But it’s the desserts that really shine, particularly the sweet, sharp and spicy rhubarb and ginger crème brûlée which opens with a satisfying crack of the spoon, and a white chocolate cheesecake which dissolves blissfully on the tongue.
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17 per bottle