- Telephone 0131 477 8477
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 10am–8.30pm; Fri & Sat 10am–9pm.
- Seasonal times Closed for dinner during the Tattoo (dinner reserved for those on Tattoo packages).
- Bar open Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–7.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–9pm.
- Website www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/restaurant
Casual dining in the shadow of the castle with one of the finest whisky collections in the capital.
The basement restaurant of the Scotch Whisky Experience is just a stone’s throw from Edinburgh Castle in the city’s tourism heart. Unsurprisingly, there are hundreds of malts and blends to choose from here, with knowledgeable staff on hand to guide diners through the very keenly priced list. The room itself resembles a cosy cafeteria with a casual, calm atmosphere in stark contrast to the throngs of tourists outside on the Royal Mile. Substantial dishes of locally sourced produce form the core of the menu. Little ‘pots’ of Scottish classics such as stovies, haggis or Cullen skink provide a novel introduction to the national cuisine, as do the Scottish tapas, a changing array of hot and cold meats and fish. For mains, a loin of venison is competently roasted and well paired with a buttery celeriac purée but the accompanying potato gnocchi lack punch. An unctuous shellfish risotto provides a comforting bed for a moist, meaty sea bream. Finish with a luxuriantly silky panacotta, its richness cut by the tang of rhubarb and passion fruit, while a white chocolate and pistachio parfait is all mild, cooling creaminess.
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Scottish traditional music, pipes.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 140 across the whole building
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle
Free £5 voucher for Peatreekers Double Standard Scotch Whisky
Discover an exclusive £5 discount code to be redeemed against a bottle award-winning Scottish whisky.