- Telephone 0131 477 8477
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 10am–8.30pm; Fri & Sat 10am–9pm.
- Seasonal times Festival: open for lunch and Sunday dinner
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–7.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–9pm.
- Website www.amber-restaurant.co.uk
Not just for whisky lovers, this relaxed spot serves classic Scottish dishes, with the occasional contemporary twist.
If there is a whisky aficionado in your life, you may already be aware of Amber’s charms. Situated beneath the Scotch Whisky Experience with one of the largest choices of whisky in town, the cosy dining room is much more than an add-on for the hugely popular tourist attraction upstairs. Local produce sourcing is high on their priority list, a great example being the pretty starter of diced Scottish salmon, cured in East Lothian cider, piled into towers and surrounded by little dabs of tart apple jelly and mustard cream. If you need more choice, you can go off-piste with the 'pots' section of the menu where modest portions of traditional favourites can be sampled. Mains include a well-seasoned guinea fowl breast with paprika sausage and fondant potato and there’s an excellent roast vegetable and chickpea cake, further enlivened by cranberry chutney. For dessert, try a classic like deliciously sticky date pudding or the powerfully dark chocolate brownie, both served with ice cream. The drinks list is, understandably, heavily biased towards whisky (pairings with food are encouraged) but there’s still a reasonable, modestly priced selection of wine too.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Modern and traditional Scottish music
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £17 per bottle