- Telephone 0131 556 4323
- Opening times Mon–Sun 5–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Sun 5–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.45pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.phuket-pavilion.co.uk
Veteran restaurateur Bill Parkinson has been in the business for 46 years and it shows. Service is a speciality: he wants people to relax while they eat. If you’re enjoying his pre-theatre menu before heading across the road to the Playhouse you might not have time to spare, but the kitchen’s consistent quality and the reassuringly recognisable Thai décor – ornate down to the cutlery, the tank of brightly coloured fish and the delicately carved carrot garnish – should go a long way to calming you down. The Pavilion has a large menu that features all the favourites: a subtle satay chicken, beautiful massaman curries and a whole steamed sea bass, simply and ideally steamed with ginger and soy. Go a little off-piste and you’ll find Phuket ob moh din, a coconut-sweet hot pot with fat scallops, enormous green mussels and tender squid, or the theatrically named Weeping Tiger. This house special of Scottish sirloin is char-grilled to your preference, cocking a cheeky Scottish wink at a rich Thai whisky sauce. Spoon that over coconut rice and you’re in danger of losing yourself in these culinary delights and missing your show.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Gentle, traditional Thai music, country and western, pop
- Capacity: 74
- Largest group: 48
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle
URGENT: You must stay at home except for shopping for basic necessities, daily exercise, any medical need and travelling to and from essential work.