- Telephone 0131 556 2414
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–7pm; Fri 8am–9pm; Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 9am–7pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–7pm; Fri 8am–8pm; Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 9am–7pm (Afternoon tea: noon–5pm).
- Average price Afternoon Tea £35 (set evening meal)
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/the-balmoral-hotel
Afternoon tea served with a fitting sense of occasion and expected finesse at one of Edinburgh's grandest hotels.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Whether it’s the elegantly proportioned domed room with palm trees and Venetian chandelier, or the harp music drifting from the balcony, time at the Palm Court seems to move at a pleasantly slow pace. A subtle attentiveness from staff and a steady flow of edible fineries all adds to a feeling of serene relaxed occasion. While morning coffee or a light lunch is possible, afternoon tea is a memorable treat. From an amuse bouche to tiered towers of savouries, cakes and scones and finally a trolley of homemade sweets and colourful macarons, the list feels pleasingly endless and indulgent. Pastries are baked with seasonal variation, such as a delicate pumpkin and meringue pie, and everything from the bread to sorbet to rose petal-flecked marshmallows is made in-house. Each layer of components is delivered separately with a fine-tuned friendly competence and generous supplies of tea and coffee.
- High point: A smoky cup of Scottish-grown Dalreoch white tea
- Low point: This level of finesse inevitably comes at a price
- Notable dish: Afternoon tea
Palm Court is an Edinburgh institution that's as glittering as its glass dome and Venetian chandelier. Sip vintage champagne or sample the award-winning afternoon tea with a wide selection of loose leaf teas, coffee, classic and contemporary sandwiches and savouries, pastries and sweet treats. A harpist provides the perfect accompaniment.
Experience the Balmoral afternoon tea, now with 20 exclusive loose-leaf teas to choose from, as well as a royal-themed afternoon tea. The Balmoral is served daily in Palm Court, accompanied by a harpist. The Balmoral is £35.00 per person or from £50.00 if you splash out in style and add a glass of Bollinger Champagne.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Harpist in afternoons from 2.30pm, (May–Sep, Mon–Sun; Oct–Apr, Wed–Sun)
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1902
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £30 per bottle