- Telephone 0131 556 2414
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–7pm; Fri 8am–9pm; Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 9am–7pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–7pm; Fri 8am–8pm; Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 9am–7pm (Afternoon tea: noon–5pm).
- Average price £19 (lunch)
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/…
Afternoon tea served with a fitting sense of occasion and finesse at one of Edinburgh's grandest hotels.
At £50 a head (£35 without champagne) Palm Court's champagne afternoon tea is an indulgent blowout rather than an everyday refuel, but it's a serene, sophisticated and memorable way to mark a special occasion. As you lean back on fat velvet cushions surrounded by tall palm trees, chandeliers and elegant mirrors as the harpist plays softly on the balcony, world chaos, dirty dishes and the bills melt away. A seemingly endless parade of treats arrives: an amuse bouche from head chef Jeff Bland starts everything off, followed by a tiny pancetta and pea tart, a silver tower of soft brioche sandwiches, then scones and dainty fruit and chocolate-topped patisserie. The coffee or tea flows freely, takeaway boxes are available when sugar levels soar dangerously high, and the service stays on the right side of warm and efficient rather than overly formal or obsequious. Elevenses are available, as are luxurious breakfasts, sandwiches and tea infusions. You may be nibbling on a bacon roll and sipping a cup of builder’s tea, but you’ll feel as though you’re doing it on the set of a period drama.
- High point: Opulent setting, with every detail considered carefully
- Low point: Indulgence doesn’t come cheap
Palm Court is an Edinburgh institution that's as glittering as its glass dome and Venetian chandelier. Sip vintage champagne or sample the award-winning afternoon tea with a wide selection of loose leaf teas, coffee, classic and contemporary sandwiches and savouries, pastries and sweet treats. A harpist provides the perfect accompaniment.
Experience the Balmoral afternoon tea, now with 20 exclusive loose-leaf teas to choose from, as well as a royal-themed afternoon tea. The Balmoral is served daily in Palm Court, accompanied by a harpist. The Balmoral is £35.00 per person or from £50.00 if you splash out in style and add a glass of Bollinger Champagne.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Afternoon harpist from 2.30pm (May–Sep, Mon–Sun; Oct–Apr, Wed–Sun)
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1902
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £30 per bottle