- Telephone 0131 556 2414
- Opening times Mon–Thu 8am–7pm; Fri 8am–9pm; Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 9am–7pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu 8am–7pm; Fri 8am–8pm; Sat 8am–9pm; Sun 9am–7pm (Afternoon tea: noon–5pm).
- Average price £40 (afternoon tea)
- Website www.roccofortehotels.com/hotels-and-resorts/…
Afternoon tea involves serious spoiling at one of Edinburgh’s grandest hotels
Afternoon tea at The Balmoral is an Edinburgh institution and the place to go if you want to be spoiled. The room belongs to another era – palm trees line the room, a Venetian chandelier glitters overhead while a harpist discretely serenades you from the balcony above. Tea aficionados are well-catered for and the loose-leaf selection includes an exciting array from that well-known Scottish tea-growing centre: Perthshire. The food arrives in waves – amuse-bouche followed by crisp goat’s cheese tartlet and a competent selection of crustless sandwiches which showcase the Balmoral’s smoked salmon. Things then shift up a gear – freshly baked scones arrive still warm from the oven, with immaculate patisserie featuring elements from the Balmoral Chocolate Room. If all that’s missing from the picture is a glass of champagne, there are several vintages available by the glass. This is no everyday sojourn; it’s an old-school treat that transforms the simple matter of tea into the grandest of occasions.
Palm Court is an Edinburgh institution that's as glittering as its glass dome and Venetian chandelier. Sip vintage champagne or sample the award-winning afternoon tea with a wide selection of loose leaf teas, coffee, classic and contemporary sandwiches and savouries, pastries and sweet treats. A harpist provides the perfect accompaniment.
Experience the Balmoral afternoon tea, now with 20 exclusive loose-leaf teas to choose from, as well as a royal-themed afternoon tea. The Balmoral is served daily in Palm Court, accompanied by a harpist. The Balmoral is £35.00 per person or from £50.00 if you splash out in style and add a glass of Bollinger Champagne.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: n/a
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mozart
- Live entertainment: Afternoon harpist from 2.30pm (May–Sep, Mon–Sun; Oct–Apr, Wed–Sun)
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1902
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £32.50 per bottle