Old Chain Pier
- Telephone 0131 552 4960
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 10am–11pm
- Bar open Sun–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Thu 11.30am–9pm; Fri 11.30am–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website oldchainpier.com
Welcoming waterside pub near Newhaven harbour with excellent views of Fife, and marine-style charm.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Just along from the lighthouse at Newhaven harbour, this welcoming waterside pub has excellent views of Fife, and if you get a window table, waves lapping on the beach below. Like its relatively new sister pub, Bar Brig on Leith Walk, there’s lots of rustic wood inside, with a subtle marine-style charm. Seafood is a highlight, with kilo pots of Scottish mussels, bowls of chunky Cullen skink or fish and chips all on the menu, alongside burgers, grazing platters, a stew of the day and a delicious vegan melanzane involtini featuring aubergines, cashews, coriander and mozzarella. Quiz nights draw big crowds, as do their bargain kir royales, bellinis and glasses of prosecco (expect change from a fiver), and their Facebook page is regularly updated with folk sessions, themed dinners and afternoon tea specials too. A recommended spot for Newhaven neighbours, or a daytrip feeling for everyone else.
- High point: Blowing the cobwebs away with a weekend brunch outdoors
- Low point: Toilets are downstairs, a drawback for anyone with restricted mobility
- Notable dish: The seafood selection
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Folk music and general performers on a regular basis
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 1896. Refurbished 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle