Old Chain Pier
- Telephone 0131 552 4960
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 10am–11pm
- Bar open Sun–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Sun–Thu 11.30am–9pm; Fri 11.30am–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–9pm.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website oldchainpier.com
Welcoming waterside pub near Newhaven harbour with excellent views of Fife, and marine-style charm.
Just along from the lighthouse at Newhaven harbour, this welcoming waterside pub has excellent views of Fife, and if you get a window table, waves lapping on the beach below. Like its relatively new sister pub, Bar Brig on Leith Walk, there’s lots of rustic wood inside, with a subtle marine-style charm. Seafood is a highlight, with kilo pots of Scottish mussels, bowls of chunky Cullen skink or fish and chips all on the menu, alongside burgers, grazing platters, a stew of the day and a delicious vegan melanzane involtini featuring aubergines, cashews, coriander and mozzarella. Quiz nights draw big crowds, as do their bargain kir royales, bellinis and glasses of prosecco (expect change from a fiver), and their Facebook page is regularly updated with folk sessions, themed dinners and afternoon tea specials too. A recommended spot for Newhaven neighbours, or a daytrip feeling for everyone else.
- High point: Blowing the cobwebs away with a weekend brunch outdoors
- Low point: Toilets are downstairs, a drawback for anyone with restricted mobility
- Notable dish: The seafood selection
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Live entertainment: Folk music and general performers on a regular basis
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 1896. Refurbished 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle