Wildfire Scottish Steak & Seafood Bistro
- Telephone 0131 225 3636
- Food served Mon 5.15–10pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.15–10pm; Sat–Sun noon–3pm, 5.15–10pm.
- Average price £14 (steak £3 supplement); £27 (evening meal)
- Website www.wildfirerestaurant.co.uk
Intimate, inviting steak house and seafood restaurant serving quality local produce.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Based in the centre of town near the west end of Rose Street, Wildfire attracts a mix of tourists and locals in the know. The interior is petite but warm and incredibly welcoming; managing to secure a table here does feel a bit like winning a golden ticket, so book ahead. To start there’s a range of tempting options from creamy Cullen skink to haggis with a Drambuie sauce, while for mains there's a focus on 21-day matured Aberdeen Angus steak available in fillet, sirloin and ribeye along with a choice of peppercorn or blue cheese sauce. The succulent steak comes with a wealth of fries or delightfully thick-cut chips and a well-dressed salad. There's also an array of specials on the mobile blackboard to peruse. To finish take advantage of the cheese board from I J Mellis or the superb sweet selection – an impressively light chocolate and almond cake served with zingy compote is particularly worth saving space for. There's also a generous whisky selection and interesting wine range.
- High point: Warm, friendly welcome
- Low point: Not a huge amount of space between tables
- Notable dish: Sirloin steak with blue cheese sauce
- Provides: Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 30 (15 outdoors)
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle