Wildfire Scottish Steak & Seafood Bistro
- Telephone 0131 225 3636
- Food served Mon–Sun 5.15–10pm; Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm; Sat–Sun noon–3pm.
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £30 (evening meal)
- Website www.wildfirerestaurant.co.uk
Intimate, inviting steakhouse and seafood restaurant serving quality local produce.
Cosy is the instant impression from Rose Street’s intimate seafood and steak bistro. Lowering your voice seems essential when it’s quiet, but this is rare with the tiny 25-seater frequently fully booked a week in advance. The fresh seafood and popular choice of 21-day-hung steak are local, with daily blackboard specials making it even harder to choose what to order. The special of crab, Mull cheddar and tarragon gratin is rich and comforting, while buttery king prawns are a fine way to get your hands messy, albeit lacking a little seasoning. Grilled steaks are well-rested and elevated by garlic butter, but pan-roasted cod fillet with bacon mash is slightly dry, nothing a large pot of extra sauce couldn’t fix. There isn’t always time for dessert, thanks to Wildfire’s two-sitting policy, but the sticky toffee pudding is a crowd pleaser, we’re assured.
- High point: Intimate family-owned restaurant
- Low point: You may need the salt and pepper
- Notable dish: Crab, Mull cheddar and tarragon gratin
- Provides: Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Acoustic, easy listening
- Capacity: 25 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £19.95 per bottle