- Telephone 0131 226 2781
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Seasonal times Festival: close at 3am
- Bar open Mon–Fri noon–1am, Sat/Sun 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–9pm, Sat/Sun 10am–9pm.
- Average price £13 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.oldtownpubco.com
Now under new ownership, early 2019 has seen this Old Town staple refurbished and revitalised, with a Scottish-led menu and drinks list.
Under new management since late 2018, the Villager has been completely refurbished in early 2019, now featuring bare stone walls, comfy wooden benches and dark wallpaper (with bonus lemur motifs). Its location makes it a tourist haven, but there’s also a significant after-work crowd having cocktails, gins or choosing from a strong beer menu. Food-wise, it’s classic pub grub, but with lots of veggie and vegan choices. There are burgers and steaks but also Malay-style curry and cottage Puy (Puy lentil pie, geddit?) plus a long list of sandwiches with great names like Wrapper’s Delight. With a new brunch menu launching mid-April 2019, this friendly bar offers something for everyone.
- Private dining: Up to 32 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 70s and 80s, upbeat at weekends, depends on timing and crowd
- Live entertainment: May have DJs in the future
- Capacity: 46 (4 outdoors)
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle