Saigon Saigon Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 557 3737
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £8.99 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website saigonsaigon.co.uk
Great value lunch buffet and ever-popular dim sum in prime location near Waverley Station.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
In a prime central location just off Princes Street, Saigon Saigon has become a draw for tourists and local office workers thanks to the great value lunch buffet and dim sum. On the inside, red is the colour of the day. A deep burgundy hue envelops the geometric ceiling and architectural features. Lacquered art adorns the walls, creating a bright, old-style interior. The place bustles as energetic staff dash about delivering piping hot food to their patrons. Paper tablecloths are whipped away to make way for the next set of hungry customers. Prawn and bean curd rolls arrive equator-hot with succulent chunks of prawn and creamy tofu rolled in a crisp outer shell accompanied by a tart dipping sauce. Northern Chinese dishes feature throughout the day and, for more adventurous diners after a taste of authentic Chinese home-cooking, there’s chicken claws, golden tripe and black fungus among many other options.
- High point: Vast choice in a bustling atmosphere
- Low point: Service a little impersonal
- Notable dish: Prawn and bean curd rolls
- Delivery: Mon–Wed after 5pm
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 200
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £16 per bottle