Olive Branch Bistro
- Telephone 0131 557 8589
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri noon–11pm; Sat/Sun 10am–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times 10% off for those with theatre or cinema tickets
- Average price £14 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.theolivebranchscotland.co.uk
Smart yet relaxed independent bistro, with an interesting menu delivering finely tuned, classic cooking.
Homely yet sophisticated, the Olive Branch Bistro on Edinburgh's bustling Broughton Street is an ideal spot for a quick lunch when in town, a more leisurely evening meal, or brunch at the weekend (their brunch menu is served until 4pm). With large windows looking out onto the street, it’s great for people-watching, and the muted décor and sanded floors create a relaxed vibe. A special of mussels in Thai broth has just the right amount of kick, while a main of pan-fried sea bream is beautifully offset with sweet, vibrant toasted cherry tomatoes. Sitting on a bed of crab mac ‘n’ cheese, it’s a lovely balance of stylish cuisine with good old comfort food. Rump of lamb arrives perfectly pink with a deliciously smoky flavour to the parsnip purée. The wine list is nicely varied and modestly priced, although if you’re celebrating, prosecco is the only option for fizz. For pudding, the cheesecake changes daily, alongside a standard range of desserts, or try cheese served with the Olive Branch’s own chutney and pickles.
- High point: High quality, unpretentious cooking
- Low point: Only one sparkling wine
- Notable dish: Pan-fried sea bream with crab mac 'n' cheese
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Post-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mix of staff picks
- Capacity: 38
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £15.85 per bottle