- Telephone 0141 332 7728
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2pm, 5–11pm; Sat noon–2pm, 5–11pm; Sun 5–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–6.45pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.dragon-i.co.uk
Twinkling wine glasses and gleaming cutlery on the table tell you Dragon-i’s Chinese–Malaysian-fusion cuisine comes in a westernised, fine-dining setting (no chopsticks here). A good wine list and muted lighting add to its potential for intimate dinner dates. The concise menu has always aimed to stand out with bold combinations of Scottish produce and far-Eastern cooking styles. Sometimes it feels overly bold. King prawns topped with strawberries is a flavour contrast too far for some, but they’ve been an ever-present on the menu for many years now so they clearly have their admirers. Other notable dishes include fillet steak slices with red peppers in a peppercorn sauce – lovely and tender for a stir-fry, or the Stornoway black pudding spring rolls – a nice merging of our two cultures. Garlic is a favoured ingredient, including the garlic-fried rice, which is a nice variant from the ‘boiled or fried’ choices in other venues. Dragon-i might not be the brave new upstart it was when it opened ten years ago but it still enjoys a healthy trade, especially from theatregoers to the Theatre Royale opposite.
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Western mainstream pop
- Capacity: 90
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.90 per bottle