- Telephone 0141 229 1468
- Food served Mon–Fri 11.30am–11pm; Sat noon–11pm; Sun 12.30–10pm
- Website www.wagamama.com
This review is taken from the 2014 edition.
The enduring popularity of Japanese food in the UK is in no small part down to this national chain of dependable and popular noodle bars. The original Glasgow branch in West George Street is easily reached from all the main shopping thoroughfares and City Centre offices, while its younger sister is to be found in the Silverburn shopping centre. Both can get pretty busy at peak times, though queues move quickly, as customers are whisked down to their bench seats by hip young staff - occasionally over-whisked. There is also a lengthy takeaway menu for those in even more of a rush. Favourite orders include katsu curries and teppan-fried noodle dishes; side orders like gyozas (steamed Japanese dumplings) and yakitori (skewered, marinated chicken). But more than any of these, diners tend to opt for the ‘ramen’ – zesty, hearty big bowls of ramen noodles in broth, filled with thinly sliced meat (or seafood) and lots of eastern vegetables. Slurping is encouraged.
- High point: Fast, feisty noodles
- Low point: Not a place for a relaxing linger
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Capacity: 144
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- House wine: £14.25 per bottle