- Telephone 0141 552 6813
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.30pm
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.cafegandolfi.com
Atmospheric bar above Glasgow institution Café Gandolfi, offering a fine selection of thoughtful dishes in relaxed surroundings.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Sitting atop big sister venue Café Gandolfi with an identity all of its own, Bar Gandolfi is an atmospheric hangout in the Merchant City. Its metro-tiled walls, punctuated with work for sale from local artists, rough-hewn wood tables and bar, and architectural metal beams make for a supremely inviting spot with bags of character. It also manages to remain a feel-good place no matter the time of day or how full it is – a rare talent in these parts. The menu has all the good stuff from downstairs and vegetarians are well-catered for far beyond the usual goat’s cheese tart offerings elsewhere. Like a weekend in Mumbai, the spiced lentils, feta and roasted cashew dish is a brief sojourn into India, but the extensive range of pasta dishes also vie for attention. There is also an excellent stone-baked pizza list exclusive to the bar.
- High point: Super-cool hangout with charm and character
- Low point: A tight squeeze around some tables
- Notable dish: Spinokipita
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic; staff choice
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £18.50 per bottle