The Wee Curry Shop
- Telephone 0141 357 5280
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Available until 6.30pm, including over lunchtime
- Average price £5.80 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £6.25 (thali selection)
- Website www.weecurryshopglasgow.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
The Wee Curry Shop shuns the more ostentatious furnishings of contemporary Indian establishments to offer a bijou yet comfortable dining space on Ashton Lane. Understated in its appearance, the restaurant is tastefully furnished with black and white photographs of family weddings, staff and various dishes. This unadorned style is reflected in a compact menu; expect three mains per fish, chicken, red meat and veggie category, plus around six different starters. Lamb patina (a speciality of the Mother India dynasty to which this wee shop has been connected since 2011) is expertly braised, with the late addition of mint cutting through the rich, spiced meat. A haddock starter arrives in a tin-foil parcel, encasing a delicately cooked fish that is fragranced with cumin seeds. Quality runs throughout the menu, including the sides where smoked aubergines are a highlight of a visit. Butter chicken is the only slight stumble: the sauce a little too cream heavy without the expected depth, while the chicken itself, cooked off the bone, is rather muted in flavour. A minor quibble, however, of a compact restaurant that is bursting with taste and personality, and all at reasonable prices.
- High point: Smoked aubergine side
- Low point: Butter Chicken
- Notable dish: Smoked aubergines
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Eclectic
- Capacity: 29
- Largest group: 29
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: No charge Sun–Thu. Fri/Sat £2.50 corkage (They are licensed too)
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Wee Curry Shop./5 from RSS feed of these comments