The Wee Curry Shop
- Telephone 0141 357 5280
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.15pm, 5–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu until 5.30pm; Fri–Sun until 3.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £7.50 for two plates.
- Website www.weecurryshopglasgow.co.uk
Uniquely intimate dining experience, with welcoming staff and skilfully cooked Indian dishes.
Up a short flight of stairs on Ashton Lane, the Wee Curry Shop is a tiny 30-capacity restaurant – an intimate environment like no other. The location is everything here, it’s as if you’ve been invited into the host’s dining room, with black and white images of the family business through the ages to keep you company. It’s a tastefully decorated room, with a magnificent menu to peruse. During the day it offers smaller thali curries, with a more expansive range of dishes for evenings. To start, masala dosa comes recommended with good reason, it's a crisp pancake packed with spice, while the fish, potato and pea pakora has a light, crisp batter and exudes freshness. From the main menu, a highlight is Malabar cod, fresh fish cooked in a fragrant sauce, with the taste of curry leaf and coconut – although it’s not available on Monday and Tuesday. The spicy saag aloo packs a punch, and the addition of the titular vegetable to the dhal leek is a welcome twist, giving the dish an extra pang of freshness. A homey, atmospheric curry house, up there with the best.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 29
- Largest group: 29
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £3.50 wine / £1 beer corkage