Chillies West End
- Telephone 0141 331 0494
- Bar open takeaway open Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri–Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Thu 5pm–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2pm–11pm
- Average price £17 (evening meal)
- Typical order Curry and naan bread (£8.20)
- Website www.chillieswestend.com
While this upscale Indian offers a fine eat-in experience, its strictly halal no-alcohol policy may convince some to opt for takeout, towards which a substantial part of the slick Chillies operation is geared, even if they don’t yet deliver. Options are impressively varied – from curries, tandoori and kebabs, through to tapas thali, stone-baked pizzas and even healthy light-bites. Everything tastes freshly prepared. The tender ground masala-spiced karahi lamb chops deserve better than coming atop a pile of slightly sorry-looking chips. As you’d anticipate, Chillies’ hot curries are a cut above -– try the garam masala, cooked in a medley of spices for warmth on the tongue instead of heat, or the zesty gosht nimbo nariyal floating with lime slices.
Contemporary and intimate, and sporting huge airy windows across the front, Chillies West End’s relaxed atmosphere is matched by a mix and match tapas-style menu of skilfully prepared and really quite spicy dishes, perfect for lazy and enjoyable grazing. As it arrives at the table each dish is striking for its freshness, from the bindhi gosht with its little of heap of tender lamb and fat, crunchy okra, to the dakhini fish curry – pale, delicate haddock in a wonderfully smoky sauce. The garlic chilli chicken is rich, deep red and almost savagely spicy, while the saag paneer is a gorgeous mix of fresh green spinach and soft, white homemade cheese. Restraint is advised though, when choosing two or three starters and three to four mains per couple, adding rice and naan can make finishing the meal a daunting prospect. There’s a generous no-corkage bring your own bottle policy that takes the heat off, but if you forget your booze a range of smoothies and fruit lassi, including a fantastic fiery pineapple and ginger concoction, are cooling on the palate and complement the fresh flavours of the food.
- High point: Fantastic food that's great for sharing
- Low point: Sometimes the eyes can be bigger than the belly
- Notable dish: Dakhini fish curry
Chillies is now BYOB, limited to beer and wine only. Customers are invited to suggest any pairings with our dishes.
We also now deliver orders within a three mile radius of our Woodlands Road premises –- if you are unsure if you are within the boundaries, give us a call or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out.
Text supplied by third party.
- Delivery: Fri/Sat only within 3 miles, from £1.50
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: ambient electronica
- Capacity: 60 (plus 12 outside)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2008
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 0
- BYOB: No charge corkage