La P'tite Folie
- Telephone 0131 225 8678
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–midnight Closed Sun.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–3pm, 6–11pm.
- Average price £11.50 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Website www.laptitefolie.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Awash with light, La P’tite Folie’s wood panel-lined main dining room feels open and removed from the busy movement of neighbouring Charlotte Square and Queensferry Street. Whether it’s lunch from the succinct, casual set menu or lingering over the more expansive (and expensive) à la carte evening options, the feeling is decidedly French brasserie. Pots of plump mussels scented with, but not overpowered by garlicky, white wine cream feature regularly and rightly so, both as a starter and a main. Evening meals may include softly poached halibut on grilled pak choi, enveloped in rich langoustine bisque, whereas the lunchtime fish of the day often presents a lighter variation. Steak and frites during the day evolves into Aberdeen Angus beef fillet Wellington with gratin dauphinoise after hours. Fromage and rich desserts (yes, there is a highly respectable crème brulee) round out the meal, which can be accompanied by a well selected range of wine by the glass or the bottle. In such comfortable surroundings it is easy to forget to return to work, so consider treating yourself to an evening in residence.
- High point: One of the most attractive casual dining spaces in town
- Low point: It’s a pity it's closed on Sundays
- Notable dish: Fish of the day
- Private dining: Up to 75 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 95
- Largest group: 95
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle