- Telephone 0131 557 2580
- Food served Mon–Sun 5–11pm
- Average price £7 (evening meal)
- Typical order Fish Supper: £6.70
- Website www.lalbadoro.com
Takeaway chippie and Italian, with some crossover between the two halves.
An expansion of L'Alba d'Oro, the fish and chip ship next door famed for a menu and extensive wine list that tosses up combinations like crocodile and chips washed down with a bottle of Krug, Anima also goes beyond the conventional, offering pasta dishes, toasted ciabattas, burgers, soups and sandwiches as well as pizzas. The pizzas are undoubtedly stars of the show, but the pasta dishes are lent real punch by their authentically Italian ingredients. Toasted sandwiches, burgers and items from L'Alba d'Oro's menu can all be ordered for delivery, though these items understandably don't travel so well. With wines, beers and desserts all available along with your order Anima delivers on it's promise of delivering Italian 'Soul Food' to your door.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This New Town institution has an enviable reputation and Scottish staples are by no means the only game in town – as the name suggests, battered stalwarts are supplemented by an impressive selection of Italian offerings from the sister restaurant, Anima, next door. Nevertheless, the fish suppers are still one of the main crowd-pleasers and haddock can be substituted for an ever-changing range of specials, with the likes of halibut occasionally entering the fray.
- High point: Adds a touch of Continental class to battered haddock
- Low point: Won't cook fresh fish to order
- Notable dish: Haddock supper
- Delivery: Minimum order £5. Delivery £2.50. Only to EH1–EH9. Delivery orders accepted till 10.30 pm, pre-ordering available.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access
- Open since: 1975
- House wine: £6.90 per bottle