- Telephone 0131 332 1469
- Seasonal times Will open Sun or Mon for large pre–booked parties.
- Food served Tue–Sat 6.30–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £22.50 (set evening meal)
- Website www.rafaels-bistro.wikidot.com
Lovely no frills, no fuss homely Spanish eatery in Stockbridge.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Beavering away in the small kitchen at the back of this Stockbridge eatery is the eponymous chef and owner of Rafael’s Bistro. Here is a man with talent and cheer, who left his native Spain many years ago to set up shop in Edinburgh. With passion in spades and a clear love for what he does, Rafael serves up simple, well-executed and unpretentious food in cosy surroundings, with calm guitar music setting the mood. Dishes change daily and are presented on a chalked-up blackboard, the man himself eager to talk you through the choices. Standouts include a small, perfectly seasoned vegetable stew starter, his mother’s divine recipe of chicken wrapped in serrano ham with port sauce, or a brie and leek Wellington. Team any of these with a glass of the value-for-money house red and you’re on to a winner. A welcome side of vegetables arrives to accompany all mains and keep your fingers crossed that the warm chocolate tart is on offer when you visit – it really is something else. Leave feeling happy, relaxed, and just the right side of full.
- High point: Lovely welcome, lovely homemade Spanish grub to match
- Low point: You'll want to return, but may need to book ahead
- Notable dish: The chef's mother's chicken dish
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Spanish guitar
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage