- Telephone 0131 467 7464
- Opening times Tue–Sat noon–2pm & 6–10.30pm; closed Mon & Sun. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue–Satnoon–2pm, 6–10.30pm; Sun/Mon closed.
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £21.95 (set evening meal)
- Website www.labruschetta.co.uk
Small but mighty Italian, just across from Haymarket station, popular with locals thanks to its traditional cuisine.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
La Bruschetta is the very definition of old school, from its maroon décor to its leather-bound menus. It attracts healthy numbers of local regulars, and it's easy to see why: this is the kind of place where the waiters know your name, your drink of choice and are happy to talk you through the menu, the wine list, or even your day. In keeping with the traditional feel, the food is classic and rustic: there are four choices of bruschetta to start (from a simple tomato, oregano, garlic and oil to all that plus Italian sausage, mozzarella and asparagus) while seafood features heavily for mains. Linguini al frutti di mare is particularly well done, while the taglioline al salmone is suitably decadent, cooked in a cream-brandy sauce with garlic, lemon and chilli. The set menu is available Tuesday to Saturday, and is good value if you're after something simple and classic, from lasagne al forno to Italian omelette. It's easy to see why people return to this old haunt: its old school charm is hard to beat.
- High point: Friendly local feel
- Low point: Often booked up
- Notable dish: Linguini al frutti di mare
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Capacity: 26
- Largest group: 12/14
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle