- Telephone 0131 467 7464
- Opening times Tue–Sat noon–2pm & 6–10.30pm; closed Mon & Sun.
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 6–10.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Average price £14.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.labruschetta.co.uk
Haymarket eatery packed full of old-school charm, with well-composed traditional cuisine and a friendly vibe.
Haymarket’s La Bruschetta is packed full of old-school charm. Wine bottles from an impressive all-Italian list dress the walls of the compact and comfortable room, with linen-clad tables and waistcoated waiters generating a relaxed vibe. Owner Giovanni patrols his skilful kitchen, fashioning a pleasing mix of rustic and more polished dishes across a traditional and appealing à la carte. A delightful antipasti plate of asparagus and prosciutto, figs and warm honey is a standout starter alongside popular linguine with lobster from a catch of the day-inspired specials board. Pan-fried veal with anchovies and capers and gorgonzola-topped seared beef pop up on a list of meaty mains, all supported by a cast of well-composed sides and desserts. An all-day fixed-price menu features rigatoni with smoked pancetta and artichokes, and lobster re-appears inside handmade agnolotti pasta drenched in a creamy bisque sauce. With a loyal band of local followers, this very likeable restaurant successfully overlays hospitable and cheerful dining over a slightly more formal backdrop.
- High point: Confident cooking in a cosy setting
- Low point: Only eight tables, so it pays to book
- Notable dish: Linguine with lobster
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz classics
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 12/14
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle