- Telephone 0131 556 5888
- Opening times Sun–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat 11am–10.30pm; Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.davidbann.com
Wholesome and hearty vegetarian food in a modern, convivial space.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
There is, thankfully, no sign of teenage angst in this, David Bann’s 14th year, just reliably good food without the attitude. Tucked away from the bustle of the Royal Mile, the restaurant has been dealing in high-quality vegetarian fare since 2002. The dining room in gentle block colours stands as a juxtaposition for the colourful dishes to come; the lack of background music means diners create their own muzak, mainly hums of satisfaction. Try the Aduki bean and mushroom bake, served with a decadently stodgy Tyrol dumpling which, when pierced, oozes sharp Kintyre cheddar. Or the aubergine, chickpea and cashew koftas, not on sticks as expected, but rolled into balls to melt in the mouth, sided with a sharp papaya salad. While you could plump for the chocolate soufflé – ‘It's been on the menu for years,’ says the duty manager – dessert is a dilemma. A bright raspberry jelly is offset by a surprising tang of passionfruit and meaty Amaretto-soaked figs, while the whisky panacotta with warm pear is zesty, warming and wholesome, like the restaurant itself.
- High point: Presentation is superb
- Low point: High turnaround on diners
- Notable dish: The chocolate soufflé
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: No music
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 98
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16 per bottle