- Telephone 0131 556 5888
- Opening times Sun–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat 11am–10.30pm; Sun 11am–10pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.davidbann.com
Wholesome and hearty vegetarian food in a modern, convivial space.
Back in 2002, David Bann swam against the tide to create his vegetarian-only restaurant and, over the years, the St Mary's Street address has become something of an Edinburgh institution. The music-free space feels calm and convivial from the outset. Muted maroons, dark woods, well-spaced tables and much-coveted booths create a modern minimalist atmosphere. With global ambitions, the menu spans India, Mexico, the Mediterranean and Thailand to name a few. Goat's cheese tartlet is light and delicate with contrast provided by caramelised onion and a sharp balsamic dressing. The chickpea pancake with quinoa chilli and chocolate sauce is warming and filling, if a little lacking in spice. A thoughtful wine list, with a particularly strong house offering, will satisfy most budgets, and a well-curated selection of vegan beers reinforces their proudly held vegetarian credentials. With consistently good ingredients, the results are always wholesome and hearty and diners will leave sated. But with vegetarianism no longer a culinary outlier, it might be time to push the flavour boat out.
- High point: Convivial space with welcoming staff
- Low point: Light touch when it comes to seasoning
- Notable dish: Goat's cheese tartlet
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: No music
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 98
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £16 per bottle