- Telephone 0141 339 1111
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Fri 11.30am–10pm; Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 12.30–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–6.30pm; Sat noon–4pm ; Sun noon–10pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.cafeandaluz.com
An experienced West End venue with lots of character, atmosphere and many creative dishes.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Entering its fourteenth year as a mainstay on Cresswell Lane, Café Andaluz is surely getting something right. The basement room is surprisingly large with light walls, multicoloured ottoman lamps and stocky wooden furniture. The menu has been tweaked over the years and is brimming with subtle seasonings and highlights that bring a touch of modern sparkle to old favourites. Grilled sea bass in a sharp salsa of basil, tomatoes and shallots in a sherry vinaigrette works beautifully, as does carrillada de cerdo – slow-cooked pork cheeks with a sweet honey glaze in a deep red wine sauce. Vegetarian choices include asparagus tips encrusted with crushed black pepper and manchego cheese with bright lemon notes and a splendid gratin of potatoes layered in garlicky cream with a crispy cheese topping. Service is lively and affable, contributing to the spirited atmosphere that seems to pervade here even on quieter nights. With almost two thirds of the menu gluten-free and allergen guides available for all dishes, it’s great to see a popular restaurant driving up dietary and labelling standards.
- High point: Attention to detail and punchy flavours
- Low point: Non-cushioned wooden seats
- Notable dish: Lubina con vinagreta
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Spanish pop
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 130
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £18.95 per bottle