- Telephone 0131 226 3131
- Opening times Daily: noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–11pm.
- Average price £11.50 (lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Website www.theoutsiderrestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
It’s worth grabbing a table here for the view from those oversized rear windows alone – watching the sun dip behind the rooftops of the Grassmarket, the hulking mass of Edinburgh Castle looming in the background, is a magical sight, whether you’re a wide-eyed tourist or a hardened local. Plying its trade in the heart of the Old Town for more than a decade, The Outsider still has a buzz about it, with clatter and chatter bouncing around its mezzanine level and high-ceilinged main room complete with cute, corner cubbyhole table. Good Scottish produce infuses a menu with built-in comfort factor: a fresh-as-a-daisy trout salad, tender rabbit leg on barley risotto, or fall-off-the bone duck confit with a tomatoey cassoulet, dotted with spicy merguez sausage. Plum and limoncello tart is a real home-style crowdpleaser, and a chocolate pâvé with hints of cardamom is an indulgent treat that presses all the right buttons.
- High point: Feel like king of the castle with that killer view
- Low point: Well-meaning service can stray at peak times
- Notable dish: Confit duck leg with merguez cassoulet
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background musak
- Capacity: 110
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £15.60 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 25 reviews of The Outsider./5 from RSS feed of these comments