- Telephone 0131 226 3131
- Opening times Daily: noon–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–11pm.
- Average price £11.50 (lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Website www.theoutsiderrestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Lunchtimes at the ever-popular Outsider buzz with a very Edinburgh mix of ladies, lawyers, suits, students and academics. The lucky ones, or special requesters, get the coveted window seats with classic castle view: a tourist must-do. Hand-scrawled daily specials (served until 7pm) such as coley on grilled brioche with mint and pea pesto, or mackerel with coconut and tamarind arancini, are always interesting, and supplement lunch menu regulars like moules-frites and pie (rabbit, mushroom, leek and tarragon) with mash. Evenings dress up for dinner along Auld Alliance lines, Scottish sourcing to the fore in seafood, game and on-trend touches: rillettes of clams and cockles with scurvy grass, or pigeon breast with pak choi to start; then roast venison haunch or a salmon-centred bouillabaisse with crab parmesan toast. Sweets finish strongly: parsnip and white chocolate frangipane or a spiced earl grey and rhubarb fool. Try the daily bin ends too – an Argentinian shiraz malbec is a belter. The buzz isn’t just about the view.
- High point: Getting a table with a castle view
- Low point: Disappointment if you don't
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background musak
- Capacity: 110
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- House wine: £15.60 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 25 reviews of The Outsider./5 from RSS feed of these comments