- Telephone 0131 623 0077
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–late
- Seasonal times Mon–Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–10pm (July to mid Sep).
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun 2–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thurs 5–7pm
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £18.40 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.mariachi-restaurant.co.uk
Cheery city-centre Mexican serving up familiar dishes and Margaritas in a party atmosphere.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
The picturesque and colourful Victoria Street is home to the equally vibrant Mariachi. Sitting just up the hill from Edinburgh’s Grassmarket, it offers the perfect place to get the party started with space for 100 diners, a private party room for hire and an outdoor patio ideal for sipping Margaritas and other cocktails. The menu is a selection of the expected Tex-Mex favourites – nachos, burritos, tacos, fajitas and enchiladas – with a selection of fillings including chicken, shredded pork or beef. There’s also a large grill section with steaks and burgers, all served with a Mexican twist. Portions are very generous but look to the starters and salads for some lighter options including corn on the cob coated in chipotle mayo or the citrusy fresh king prawn salad with just a hint of chilli. Mariachi extends a warm welcome to everyone, making it a city centre hub for celebrations.
- High point: Party ambience and plenty of food
- Low point: Some dishes are a little quantity over quality
- Notable dish: Shredded pork enchiladas
- Delivery: Through Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £15.50 per bottle