Sublime fish dishes and burgers in this beloved Cowcaddens café-restaurant with truly distinctive décor.
With a clientele as varied and eclectic as the décor, it’s hard not to feel at home as soon as you enter Café Hula. Wooden benches stacked with cushions fill the expansive window bays, while students, professionals and tourists soak up the distinctive world-café ambience. Food is equally packed with personality, with stand-outs including a tomato-based fish stew and the ample, indulgent Hula burger. Even simple pasta dishes are given attention to detail, such as penne with fresh coriander and creamy goat’s cheese, and this elevates the dining experience high above the average café. Café Hula is clearly treasured by its regulars and newly discovered by Conservatoire students every year. Quirky in all the right ways.
- Private dining: Up to 21 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie/folk/rock
- Live entertainment: poetry evenings, acoustic nights, Facebook page exists for Cafe Hula events
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £14 per bottle