The Edwardian Kitchen Restaurant
- Telephone 0141 6166410
- Food served Mon–Sun 10am–4.30pm.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.nts.org.uk/Property/…
Edwardian grandeur and artisan baking in this country home, which also features an impressive art collection.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
A visit feels like a big day out at this rustic café, which is reached via the impressive grounds of Pollok Park. Housed in the basement of Pollok House, Glasgow’s best example of an Edwardian country home, the open layout means you can watch the chefs at work preparing cakes, soups and salads. Vegetables are even taken from the gardens to create daily specials, which include quiche and soups – courgette soup comes with delicious, freshly baked tomato bread, while the quiche includes the right balance of creamy cheese and roasted tomatoes. Sweet options include decadent gluten-free brownies and rich date slices with oats. Occasionally, combined tours and dining experiences are on offer.
- High point: The artisan ethos
- Low point: Visitors need to book ahead for afternoon tea
- Notable dish: Daily variation of quiche
- Private dining: Up to 60 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: no music
- Live entertainment: Southside Fringe venue, theatre shows and music events happen at the House and within grounds, Pollok Art Society also put on events
- Capacity: 60 (36 outdoors)
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle