Mr India's Balti and Dosa House
- Telephone 0141 334 0084
- Food served Sun–Thu 5–11pm; Fri/Sat 5pm–midnight
- Average price £23 (evening meal)
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
Time has stood still on the 1980’s décor of this traditional curry house, yet its hearty no-frills menu attracts plenty of evening regulars from the neighbourhood. Friendly staff serve up super-sized portions of traditional Indian dishes such as biryani, dopiaza and masala. Tandoori starters, pakoras and puris include chicken, lamb, vegetable, fish or prawn options, while a wide variety of south Indian dosas are available as starters or mains. Signature dishes include chicken achari flavoured with bhuna, accompanied by a light chapatti. Main dish tandoori king prawns arrive on a sizzling platter of green capsicums with basic curry sauce. Size matters, according to its regular diners, with the restaurant claiming its king prawns are ‘the largest in the West End’. While the cooking may lack a certain flair or finesse, portions are big enough to warrant a doggy-bag. Set-price two or three-course menus are on offer representing good value, and vegetarians have a big choice.
- High point: Huge portions
- Low point: Huge portions
- Delivery: £2, West End only
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Bhangra / Indian
- Capacity: 42
- Largest group: 42
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle