This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 339 4111
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Sat/Sun noon–11pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4–7pm
- Average price £10.90 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.gambrino.co.uk
Bustling and friendly Kelvinbridge Italian restaurant, with an unfussy menu focusing on local, fresh and organic ingredients.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
This friendly, buzzing West End restaurant has a real authentic neighbourhood trattoria feel to it, with exposed brickwork and low, soft lighting. The menu is traditional, unfussy Italian food with a strong focus on fresh, local ingredients and using organic produce wherever possible. A starter of grilled vegetable antipasto comes with beautifully crunchy asparagus and succulent slices of grilled aubergine and courgette, and makes an excellent pairing with the meat antipasto for two to share, even if portion sizes are a tad over-generous. Linguine all’aqua pazza sees mussels and prawns, still in shell, on a bed of al dente pasta mixed with squid and scallops, uplifted by a chilli, white wine and garlic sauce. Pizza bases are crisp and fluffy, and all can be made into a calzone on request. A dessert of coppa amarena is delicious, with rich morello cherries and wonderfully creamy homemade vanilla ice-cream – though if you fancy something a little stronger to round off your meal, they’ve a good selection of liqueurs and a choice of no less that eight grappas.
- High point: Fresh, good-quality, uncomplicated cooking
- Low point: Limited selection of wine by the glass
- Notable dish: Seafood linguine
- Delivery: through Deliveroo
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: mixed Italian
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle