Howies (Victoria Street)
- Telephone 0131 225 1721
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun 11.30am–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm
- Average price £10.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95
- Website www.howies.uk.com
Expect a Scottish menu with French touches and plenty of game and fish at this long-established restaurant, well-located for tourist attractions.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Howies is a stalwart of the Edinburgh restaurant scene, and has been offering up classic Scottish cuisine since 1990. Its Victoria Street branch, ‘carved out of rock that Edinburgh Castle perches on above’, flourishes with tartan, there’s Scottie dog art and a grand chandelier fit for a banqueting hall in Glamis or Dunsinane; while a Paris print alludes to Auld Alliance approaches – cassoulet, chicken liver parfait, potatoes dauphinoise and lyonnaise, crème brûlée. The menus mix tourist-pleasers like Cullen skink and haggis, neeps and tatties with Scottish-drawn dishes plus some wider choices. Starters include hot smoked salmon, mussels of the day (such as green Thai curry) and a warm bistro leaf salad with wood pigeon breast and black pudding croutons. Mains feature a hefty haunch of Glen Lyon venison and an unfortunately dry chicken breast stuffed with spinach and garlic cream cheese. Desserts go from banoffee pie to should-be-sharper rhubarb panacotta. Lunch and early dining deals are attractive, but get in quick for the latter.
- High point: Lunch and early dining deals
- Low point: Early dining deal doesn't last long
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £16.25 per bottle
- BYOB: £4.50 corkage (Fizz corkage £5.50)