Howies (Victoria Street)
- Telephone 0131 225 1721
- Seasonal times Festival: Mon–Sun 11.30am–4pm; 5–11pm.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm
- Pre-theatre price £15.75
- Website www.howies.uk.com
A reliable, consistent Scottish restaurant with a modern take on traditional dishes.
Nestled along one of the prettiest streets in the Old Town, this is a popular spot for tourists to fill up on hearty meals and sample archetypal Scottish dishes. Split into two rooms, with whitewashed stone walls and gentle lighting, it has a cosy bistro feel. But while the décor is informal, the kitchen is extremely efficient, and the waiting staff observant to the needs of diners. The short menu is built around classic Scottish meat and fish, such as a smoky Cullen skink or the ubiquitous haggis, neeps and tatties. Big meaty casseroles are a staple, changing from rich gamey stews in winter to lighter versions in summer. Venison from the owner’s estate in Glen Lyon is finely textured and roasted to bring out the best of its flavour, though a salad of roasted Jerusalem artichoke misses the mark. End the meal with their signature pudding, a huge slab of banoffee pie, which will more than satisfy any sugar cravings. Dietary information is given about all dishes and many have gluten-free versions.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 92
- Largest group: 92
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- House wine: £20 per bottle