The Green Room
- Telephone 0141 353 8000
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2pm (before matinées), 5–6.30pm (on performance nights)
- Pre-theatre times 5–6.30pm on show nights
- Average price £16.95 (set lunch); £16.95 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.95
- Website www.glasgowconcerthalls.com
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Update 2013: The Green Room is currently closed during building work at the Royal Concert Hall. Due to reopen in summer 2014.
Eating at the Green Room is a rare treat – quite literally as it is only open on performance days. Attached to the Royal Concert Hall (with direct access to the auditorium for concert-goers), the restaurant’s limited and unpredictable opening hours mean forward planning is key, but it’s well worth it. The elegant dining room has an understated chartreuse and maroon colour scheme and enormous windows with a fabulous view down Buchanan Street. Starters include a silken chicken liver paté with port and redcurrant sauce and dinky Arran oatcakes. Chilli, lime and coriander king prawns are well spiced, with a background kick and the accompanying Israeli couscous is given pleasing texture and crunch by the addition of finely diced salad vegetables. A main of sea bass fillet is accompanied by Jerusalem artichoke purée, wilted greens and saffron potatoes, and showcases the produce of the season. Desserts include lime-scented cheesecake with strawberries and chocolate sauce, and a richly caramel apple tarte tatin with cinnamon ice-cream. Bells tell you the show is starting – but with food this good you may be reluctant to leave.
- Private dining: Up to 400 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: jazz, modern show tunes or tailored to correspond with the day's performance
- Live entertainment: Classical and light music concerts
- Capacity: 74
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- House wine: £18.10 per bottle