North Bridge Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 622 2846
- Opening times Sun–Thu 11am–11pm; Fri/Sat 11–1am
- Seasonal times Bar open until 1am during Edinburgh Festival
- Bar open Mon–Thu 10am–midnight; Fri/Sat 10am–1am; Sun 10am–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri 7–10am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30pm–10pm; Sat/Sun 7.30am–10.30am, noon–2.30pm, 5.30pm–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–6.30pm.
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price 3 courses £21.50
- Website www.northbridgebrasserie.com
Hotel brasserie with striking marble and timber-panelled backdrop offering familiar Scottish fare and a cocktail-friendly bar.
The Scotsman Hotel’s North Bridge Brasserie sits proudly housed in a striking former newspaper HQ. Ornate marble and timber panelling line the restaurant and the cocktail-friendly bar, with an elegant wraparound gallery level hovering above. In a room hosting breakfast to evening à la carte, there’s no shortage of menu options, with ambitions to harmonise the bar and dining areas and elevate the combined offer. Pumpkin velouté with blue cheese and walnuts appears on a gluten-free-friendly set menu lunch, triple-deck club sandwiches on the all-day bar menu or check out the three-course pre-theatre deal. Dinner has a familiar Scottish slant, showcasing Loch Awe sea trout with Jerusalem artichoke and thyme gnocchi alongside braised Highland beef with baby onions and horseradish. There’s 28-day-aged ribeye steaks, buffalo burgers from Puddledub Farm or a popular afternoon tea with optional prosecco if that’s your bag. Front of house blends a happy balance between formality and attentiveness in a brasserie that strives but doesn’t quite match the splendour of its setting.
- High point: Attractive room with service that aims to please
- Low point: Some dishes don't quite hit the mark
North Bridge Brasserie & Bar is set in The Scotsman Hotel, one of Edinburgh’s leading luxury hotels and a member of The Leading Hotels of the World. The hotel occupies the former offices of The Scotsman newspaper, which inhabited the building for nearly a century. North Bridge Brasserie & Bar is set in the newspaper’s former marble reception hall and access to it is through the building’s original main door.
Tables are set in intimate coves and booths on the ground floor as well as around the walls of the gallery level. A stunningly contemporary steel staircase connects the two floors. In the centre of the room flanked on each side by four imposing marble pillars lies the modern cocktail and wine bar.
The menu consists of modern Scottish dishes with a focus on seafood and fresh local produce.
Text supplied by third party.
- Private dining: Up to 100 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background tunes
- Capacity: 72
- Largest group: 12
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £21.95 per bottle