- Telephone 0131 467 7266
- Seasonal times Open later during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–9.30pm; Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat 10am–10pm; Sun 10am–9pm (Sunday brunch 10am–12.45pm).
- Pre-theatre price £10 (Mon all day, small pasta and glass of wine or £12 for a large glass of wine)
- Website www.cafedomenico.co.uk
Popular little Leith establishment, still serving long-time favourite dishes despite a change of ownership.
Despite being open for 25 years, Café Domenico remains something of a local secret – one that, quite rightly, Leithers don’t want getting out. With a large deli counter at the front serving takeaway sandwiches, you could easily assume that’s all it is. But tucked behind is a softly lit, bistro-style restaurant with a handful of gingham-dressed tables attentively waited on by friendly staff. In 2018, Café Domenico launched a new à la carte menu, showcasing their love of rich Italian cuisine with a kick. Among the tempting creations, check out the spicy sausage pasta or hearty bowls of casarecce pugliese with broccoli, anchovies and chilli. Chicken stuffed with smoky nduja and topped with béchamel sauce is a deliciously spiced-up twist on a typical chicken parma, served with a plentiful side of sweet potato wedges. There's also a weekend breakfast menu that runs just past noon and includes some epic breakfast platters that will easily see you right through the day.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Italian
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £17 per bottle