- Telephone 0131 467 7266
- Seasonal times Open later during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–2.30pm, 5.30–9pm; Fri 10am–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm; Sun noon–7pm.
- Pre-theatre price £8.50 (Mon–Wed all day, small pasta and glass of wine)
- Website www.cafedomenico.co.uk
Charming and cheerful family-run eatery with well-prepared, honest food and a hospitable neighbourhood vibe.
Tucked around the corner from Commercial Street, Leith’s Café Domenico has long been a charming and cheerful neighbourhood favourite. In the same family hands for nearly 20 years, olive green walls and red checked tablecloths lend warmth to a compact mirror-lined room. A fairly tight à la carte menu stretches from daytime to evening, showcasing well-prepared, honest Italian food and evenly priced house vino, with pastas and blackboard specials the star attractions. Take your pick from gnocchi with dried figs and pancetta, ham-wrapped cod with pea risotto or maybe linguine flecked with mussels and squid in a rich shellfish broth. Nduja sausage lends a spicy kick to sea bass with creamy mash, while generous bowls of seafood stew arrive packed with the day’s catch in a rich tomato and white wine sauce. Chicken and truffle pesto ciabatta features among well-packed lunchtime wraps and sun-dried focaccia, all supported by early week pasta and wine deals and the occasional evening tasting menu. Much admired by its legions of local fans, owner Dellita ensures the ambience and food at Domenico's remains welcoming and generous.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Radio 2 and easy listening
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle