- Telephone 0131 467 7266
- Seasonal times Open later during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–9.30pm; Fri–Sun 10am–10.30pm (Sunday brunch 10am–12.45pm).
- Pre-theatre price £8.50 (Mon–Wed all day, small pasta and glass of wine)
- Website www.cafedomenico.co.uk
A popular little establishment down Leith way, still serving long-time favourite dishes despite a change of ownership.
The ownership may have changed at this compact and ever-popular establishment in Leith but much remains the same. Still operating under the original name, it retains the rustic charm, the large mirrors that magnify the limited space, the loyal staff, and – most importantly – much of the menu on which Café Domenico built a reputation for reliable dining. The opening hours have been extended and a few non-Italian dishes have infiltrated the menu. But, while a click and collect lunchtime service and the addition of Sunday brunch are admirable attempts to attract a new audience, it’s the selection of familiar favourites that keep the regulars coming back. Starters include a range of bruschetta options and daily specials such as mussels with pancetta in a marinara sauce. A creamy risotto or pasta with a choice of accompaniments such as red peppers, tomato and spicy sausage (that packs a punch) bring the authentic Italian touch to the selection of mains. And for dessert, a creamy tiramisu is further confirmation that there are benefits to sticking with the tried and tested.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Depends on age of diners
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 1998
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle