The Magnum Restaurant & Bar
- Telephone 0131 557 4366
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5.30pm–6.45pm Mon–Sun
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.themagnumrestaurant.co.uk
Intimate New Town stalwart with separate bar and outdoor seating for comfy year-round drinking and dining.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
So inviting are the Magnum’s cascading fairy lights and velvety interior that you almost wish for weather terrible enough to keep you there all night, nursing a glass of wine and chatting to the staff in its cosy bar. Divided into separate bar and dining areas, upstairs serves a decent, broadly Scottish menu while the bar below boasts old wood tables and a fine selection of whiskies for afterwards. The effect is of an intimate local where you’re made to feel at home whilst dining with friends. The menu descriptions somewhat overstate the dishes, which are well cooked – though with few surprises. Notable exceptions include the crispy duck egg accompanying pork belly with braised lentils and a cranachan cheesecake, moreish enough to forgive its slightly dated presentation. The whole experience is elevated by the warmth of the dining space and the easy charm of the staff. Upstairs can be sectioned off for private parties and there’s pavement seating for 20 outside making this a rare find in Edinburgh: snug, convivial winter dining plus perfect summer drinking opportunities.
- High point: Unstuffy intimate ambience
- Low point: No prizes for innovation
- Notable dish: Pork Belly with braised Puy lentils, buttifara fresca sausage, crispy duck egg and apple ketchup
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Quiet and contemporary
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1981
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle