The Magnum Restaurant & Bar
- Telephone 0131 557 4366
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–6.30pm
- Average price £13 (set lunch); £27 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £17.95
- Website www.themagnumrestaurant.co.uk
Intimate New Town bar and bistro punching well above its weight, with separate bar and outdoor seating for comfy year-round drinking and dining.
‘Hidden gem’ is an overused cliché, especially somewhere like Edinburgh where nothing is really hidden at all. But it seems the old reliable Magnum has been hiding in plain sight. Sure, it’s always been there for a pub lunch or a quick drink after work. But hold onto your hats, because this venerable lady is swapping her slippers for dancing shoes and shaking things up. Cured trout with an orange and dill jelly, cucumber foam, pomegranate seeds and blood orange meringue sounds like it’s trying too hard, but is actually a wee triumph of a starter that makes sense of pomegranate seeds (the tart little clouds of meringue are sensational too). A ballotine of butternut squash and butter bean is as inventive a vegetarian dish as you’ll find anywhere, while venison comes with a rich, winey sauce, a terrific potato cake, and a bowl of lentils you’ll want to lick clean. Desserts don’t quite hit the same high spots, but by that time you’ll be so under the Magnum’s shimmering fairy-light spell that you’ll be past caring. It’s definitely not hidden, but it is definitely a gem.
- High point: Such a pretty place, such a pretty plate
- Low point: They need to work the same magic on the puds
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 1981
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £19 per bottle