A Room in the West End
- Telephone 0131 226 1036
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10.30am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.aroomin.co.uk
Basement restaurant with a focus on good Scottish food in a friendly atmosphere.
More pubby than its Leith counterpart, A Room in the West End has been serving up Scottish favourites in the relaxed, intimate, wood-panelled basement of Teuchters bar since 2001. The kitchen ticks all the boxes without overdoing it on the tartan and shortcake front. Starters include a thick and hearty Cullen skink or slithers of cured Rannoch beef served up alongside moreish crumbly black pudding and a soft boiled egg. Mains offer diners sherry-braised pork cheeks or plaice with crushed chorizo and dill potatoes, alongside more obvious choices such as a seared venison loin with kailkenney mash. Desserts continue the homely comfort theme with a sticky toffee pudding and a selection of ices. With its pub stock to tap into, the gin menu is long and there’s whisky galore, including triple malt tasting fights. The wine list, too, is plentiful with affordable choices alongside a couple of more lavish offerings. It’s a safe and reliable bet for a wallet-friendly lunch or dinner but maybe it's time to shake things up and tempt some of those in the busy bar above to head downstairs.
- High point: No alarms and no surprises
- Low point: Maybe time to ring the changes
- Notable dish: Seared Highland venison loin with kailkenney mash, lemon thyme-roasted parsnips and red wine jus
- Private dining: Three two-seat private alcoves
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Random playlists or whatever is on in the pub upstairs.
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 19
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £4.50 for wine / £5.50 for fizz corkage