A Room in the West End
- Telephone 0131 226 1036
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10.30am–1am. (Teuchters)
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm.
- Average price £13.50 (set lunch); £20 (set evening meal)
- Website www.aroomin.co.uk
Basement restaurant with a focus on good Scottish food in a friendly atmosphere.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
While Teuchters bar upstairs heaves with drinkers, the restaurant below is an oasis of calm. The room, lightened by a mural, has three romantic nooks for those seeking a more intimate atmosphere. A quirk of this place and its associated establishments is the concept of food in mugs – whether that be olives to accompany a pre-meal dram from the list of more than 100, or the rustic chips served as a side order. But it’s back to a traditional bowl for chunky Cullen skink that is creamy and thick with a subtle flavour of lightly smoked haddock. After that hearty starter, the skill in the kitchen is on show with attractively presented mains which are packed with flavour. Roasted Burnside Farm roe deer haunch appears as three slices of expertly cooked meat, served with a mini venison haggis tart that adds a balancing flavour to a dish served alongside potato gratin and Madeira gravy. Finally, the choice of desserts is a little limited but a moist apple, cinnamon and vanilla sponge is certainly worth a try.
- High point: Layout suitable for large groups as well as couples
- Low point: Choice of desserts is limited
- Notable dish: Roasted Burnside farm roe deer haunch, venison haggis puff pastry tart, celeriac and potato gratin
- Private dining: Three two-seat private alcoves
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Background music
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £15 per bottle
- BYOB: £4.50 for wine / £5.50 for fizz corkage