A Room in the West End
- Telephone 0131 226 1036
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sun 10.30am–1am. (Daytime menu noon–4.30pm)
- Food served Mon–Wed noon–2pm, 5.30–9pm; Thu/Fri noon–2pm, 5.30–9.30pm; Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–9.30pm; Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–9pm.
- Website www.aroomin.co.uk
Relaxed basement restaurant in the West End, serving reliable Scottish dishes with an added creative twist and with a fabulous whisky list.
Nestling below Teuchters bar, A Room in the West End blends honest and well-composed Scottish food with the best that the country’s distilleries have to offer. A bistro-style basement room of dark timber warmth reveals a colourful ‘spot the celebrity’ mural alongside a trio of quirky two-person snugs. Seafood deli boards showcasing soused herring and crayfish salsa emerge on weekdays, alongside venison and pork dogs with caramelised onions, and blue cheese-stacked buffalo steak burgers. A good-value set lunch deal features beef and whisky sausages with onion gravy, together with creamy Cullen skink and baked salmon with sautéed kale and aioli. The evening à la carte steps up a gear, matching quail and smoked bacon roulade to a roasted parsnip and apple purée, alongside seared fillet of hare, with haggis bridie and madeira jus. BYOB, dainty mini cocktails and whisky flights drawn from an extensive list of malts prove popular in a venue that continues to satisfy its fair share of tourists, office workers and returning regulars.
- Private dining: Two two-seat private alcoves
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 65
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle