Bonsai Bar Bistro
- Telephone 0131 668 3847
- Seasonal times Open an hour later every day during August.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Average price £4.90 (set lunch); £14.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.bonsaibarbistro.co.uk
Cosy, lively and great value neighbourhood Japanese restaurant.
As a small Japanese restaurant on a quiet and undistinguished street in Edinburgh, Bonsai doesn’t look like much from its modest exterior. But we don’t judge a book by its cover, and rightly so – the kitchen is where all the action's at in this humble joint, cooking up innovative dishes, despite being one of the city’s elder Japanese eateries. The makizushi is presented with intricate detail – seaweed encasing a textured combination of rice, fish and veg, and the sashimi menu is simple but a definite highlight. Some of the fried dishes are prepared a little sloppily, but for the sushi alone it’s worth a trip back, plus the lunch deals and bento boxes are an absolute steal. In true Japanese style, the place is small but full of character, with red lanterns and anime posters decorating the space, and staff who make you feel truly welcome. Although their sister restaurant on Broughton Street is no longer around, Bonsai sits quite comfortably at this end of town and doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere.
- High point: Ideal for a quick lunch break
- Low point: Soggy tempura batter
- Notable dish: Rainbow sushi roll
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Children's portions, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Asian music
- Capacity: 32 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 32
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage