Bonsai Bar Bistro
- Telephone 0131 668 3847
- Seasonal times August: open till 11pm
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri noon–5pm
- Pre-theatre price £10 (bento box)
- Website www.bonsaibarbistro.co.uk
Cosy and lively neighbourhood Japanese restaurant.
Bonsai brought its tapas-style sushi dining to Edinburgh almost twenty years ago and it’s still going strong. The small, casual dining room is adorned with quirky artwork, Japanese lanterns, and an illuminated specials board showcasing seasonal creations. It's here you’ll find choices like hotate karaage: lightly fried scallops with paper thin golden beetroot and tangy ponzu sauce, or Thai-style sea bream gunkan with its punchy lime and chilli kick. The standard menu is broken into sections including teppanyaki, agemono, dumplings, and various sushi, sashimi and maki. The food isn’t refined but it’s certainly tasty and swiftly served by friendly staff. Portions are small but so are the prices, encouraging diners to try a variety of dishes, while the weekday set lunch deals are a steal and make Bonsai a popular haunt for students. There's good Japanese beer, or try something different and go for one of the cocktails made with shochu, tonic, and various fruit flavours.
- Delivery: https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/edinburgh/old-town/bonsai-bar
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Asian chilled vibes
- Capacity: 32 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £16 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage