Bonsai Bar Bistro
- Telephone 0131 668 3847
- Seasonal times Open an hour later every day during August.
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu noon–5pm
- Pre-theatre price £9.90 (bento box)
- Website www.bonsaibarbistro.co.uk
Cosy and lively neighbourhood Japanese restaurant.
Tucked between South Bridge and the Pleasance, this sushi joint has been attracting students and festival goers since the millennium, not least with its bento box lunch deals. First up on the laminated menu is Japanese-style deep-fried dishes, adding a dollop of the greasy spoon to this compact L-shaped bistro. Then come all manner of maki, temaki, gyoza dumplings and hot teriyaki options to choose from, before you get to the specials on the wall. A salmon skin and avocado maki roll and some small tender scallops in orange and ginger are decent enough, but a flabby duck and leek gyoza and a watery wakame seaweed soup disappoint. On the plus side, there’s good Kirin beer, a nip of Hibiki Japanese whisky and a creamy green tea crème brûlée for pudding.
- Delivery: Deliveroo
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Ambient jazz
- Capacity: 32 (12 outdoors)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2000
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage