The Peat Inn Restaurant with Rooms
- Telephone 01334 840206
- Food served Tue–Sat 12.30–2pm, 6.30–9pm; Sun/Mon closed.
- Average price £19 (set lunch); 3 course set menu £50; tasting menu £70 [£125 with matched wines] (set evening meal)
- Website www.thepeatinn.co.uk
Michelin-starred restaurant with rooms with established reputation for fine wine and dining.
This whitewashed former coaching inn near St Andrews has been offering hospitality for more than 250 years. Now with Geoffrey Smeddle and his wife Katherine at the helm, a Michelin star, and eight rooms, the Peat Inn is one of Scotland’s most distinguished dining destinations. There are set lunch and dinner menus, as well as à la carte, while the tasting menu shows classical French technique at work on the pick of seasonal, local produce. Typical dishes might feature roast Mangalitza pork from Orkney, East Neuk wood pigeon or wild red deer, and shine a welcome spotlight on such neglected vegetables as salsify and Swiss chard. Dessert might bring an accomplished ganache of dark ‘bean to bar’ artisan chocolate, hazelnut mousse, blood orange sorbet and chocolate crackling.
Offering a variety of daily menus, Geoffrey Smeddle demonstrates accomplished cooking, drawing on classical French techniques and using quality local ingredients, while service is attentive yet unfussy.
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 8
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 1971 (but taken over by current owners 2006)
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- House wine: £22 per bottle