- Telephone 01896 822285
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–2.30pm, 5–11pm; Sun noon–2.30pm, 6–11pm
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–2pm, 7–9.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–2pm, 7–10pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £29.50 (set evening meal)
- Website www.burtshotel.co.uk
Tucked at the heart of Melrose, perhaps the prettiest of the Borders market towns, Burts has location on its side. The Hendersons are the hands-on family behind Burts, running a handy brace of eateries within this 18th-century old dame. The bar offers old favourites like haddock and chips, and nods to local produce with scampi from Eyemouth just to the east, as well as 28-day-hung steak from Melrose’s Martin Baird butchers. In the elegant restaurant, head chef Trevor Williams is ably assisted by a dedicated pastry chef. Local produce pops up again with Teviot Game Fare Smokery salmon. Safe mains such as halibut and beef fillets are backed up with decadent sole, tiger prawn and lobster ravioli. The wine list is decent with 11 wines available by the glass. After dinner the bar awaits with almost 100 single malt whiskies.
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 20
- Provides: Outdoor tables
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1988
- House wine: £13.75 per bottle