The Orangery at Balbirnie House Hotel
- Telephone 01592 610066
- Food served Wed–Sat 7–9.30pm; Sun noon–2.30pm & 7–9.30pm. Closed Mon/Tue.
- Average price £36.50 for canapes, four courses and coffee (set evening meal)
- Website www.balbirnie.co.uk/best-restaurants-in-scotland/…
The Orangerie Restaurant takes its name from the long south-facing room of the former mansion house that was Balbirnie, with full length windows, trompe l’oeil mirrors and skylight with huge modern chandeliers. During the day it is full of natural light and in the evening the lighting is soft and gracious. There is simplicity in the white napery and single candle, a couple of orchids grace the unlit fire mantelpieces. The simplicity continues into the food with a short menu which includes Caesar salad, a chicken liver parfait and the hotel’s own hot smoked salmon. Lamb comes with rumbledethumps and steaks are cooked accurately and come with crisp, skin on chips. A short list of wines provides an adequate balance of styles for the food. Drinks and coffee can be taken in the cosy library bar where the years have brought a faded grandeur, and you can warm yourself in front of a gas-effect open fire. There is also a bistro bar in the former cellars frequented by locals and serving bistro classics as well as mussels from the island of Lewis.
- High point: Excellent sticky toffee pudding
Set in 400 acres of woodland on the outskirts of Glenrothes and within easy reach of both St Andrews and Edinburgh, the grand Balbirnie House Hotel is a luxury place to stay with a celebrated fine-dining restaurant named the Orangery whose reputation extends far beyond the local area. Locally sourced Scottish ingredients define a menu which specialises in steaks and seafood, with a few more signature dishes on the side, while afternoon tea and private dining is also available. In the same building, the Balbirnie Bistro offers a less formal dining experience.
- Private dining: Up to 200 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 30
- Provides: Halal options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 200 (ballroom)
- Open since: 1999
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle