New Town Deli
Bustling and friendly neighbourhood café, deli and takeaway.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
While most places with huge menus do lots-of-things-not-very-well, the New Town Deli is doing lots-of-things-very-well. The Henderson Row branch (a smaller sister operation is on Broughton Street) bustles with a thriving breakfast and lunchtime trade, and the lists pinned to the wall behind the counter detail everything from breakfast and brunch rolls, to eggs on toast or a full breakfast. There’s lively smoothies, a choice of wraps and baguettes, and club sandwiches are listed beside homemade burgers (beef, meatloaf, chicken, falafel). Chilli and fries is extreme comfort food, a hangover essential. Cakes and cookies rub shoulders with traybakes, while the deli counter is filled with bright fresh ingredients: chunky green guacamole, herby pesto, velvety hummus, zingy salsa, cheeses, meats, roasted vegetables. In short, there’s something for everyone. A reflection of their friendly and welcoming attitude, seating is centered around a large communal table in this dependable and cheerful neighbourhood local.
- High point: Staff who serve right up until the doors close
- Low point: Can get very busy
- Notable dish: Great guacamole and tasty chilli
- Delivery: Delivery minimum order £25. Free locally, small charge for farther afield. Outside catering, businesses etc in the Edinburgh area
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Various
- Capacity: 20-25
- Largest group: 10
- Open since: 2010