- Telephone 0131 652 3880
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–4pm; Sat 9am–4.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.embo-deli.com
This review is taken from the current (2015) edition.
Up a short flight of stairs at the New Town end of Leith Walk, well-established Embo has been feeding hungry locals, office workers and commuters for over 15 years now. Its single-room space is a little rough at the edges, especially compared to some of the newer kids on the block, but it’s brimming with character and exudes a warm welcome and community spirit, with chunky stools and quirky wooden tables, a life-sized robot, fish tank, vases of flowers and a rotating selection of interesting art from local artists. The blackboard menu features veggie-friendly wraps, rolls and salads, as well as build-your-own options, and a changing list of specials, such as soups (ginger and coconut, chili squash, bacon and lentil) and mains (Vietnamese beef noodles) offering big flavours and substantial sustenance at affordable prices. Even a first visit here feels like a homecoming, which makes you want to return again and again.
- High point: A well-established local Leith cafe full of character
- Low point: Starting to feel a little rough round the edges
- Notable dish: Chorizo and halloumi salad or Felafel wrap
- Delivery: Free delivery to meetings, business lunches, local businesses etc. for orders over £20.
- Private dining: 6-8 seats outdoors
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazzy funky mix
- Capacity: 18
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 1999
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Embo./5 from RSS feed of these comments