- Telephone 0131 652 3880
- Food served Mon–Fri 8am–4pm; Sat 9am–4.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £8 (lunch)
- Website www.embo-deli.com
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Be prepared to grab a bar stool or share a table where you can amid the quirky furnishings and decorations of Mike Marshall’s bijou Leith Walk café. His generous, flavoursome food, though, more than makes up for any seating area size issues. The menu isn’t huge, but it’s well thought out and expertly executed – daily changing smoothies, hot dishes and treats show a creative flair (a warm, homebaked spinach muffin with pesto, for example, is light and moreish), and salads are piled high with good, fresh ingredients – the hot-smoked trout choice is particularly fine. Things start early with breakfasts of a nicely creamy pesto scrambled eggs and more smoked trout, plus pastries and robust coffee, and service comes with a warm welcome and pride in the establishment’s good food. If you’ve any room left, sample one of the several homemade cakes that adorn the counter. It might be little, but it’s a gem of a place.
- High point: Good, simple, fresh food at reasonable prices
- Low point: You may have to wait for a space to sit, or share a table
- Notable dish: Hot smoked trout and crayfish salad
- Delivery: Free delivery to meetings, business lunches, local businesses etc. for orders over £20.
- Private dining: 6-8 seats outdoors
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazzy funky mix
- Capacity: 18
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 1999
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Embo./5 from RSS feed of these comments