The Cambridge Bar
- Telephone 0131 226 2120
- Opening times Mon–Wed noon–11pm; Thu noon–midnight; Fri/Sat noon–1am; Sun noon–11pm
- Bar open Sun–Wed noon–11pm; Thu–Sat noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.thecambridgebar.co.uk
September 2017: The Cambridge is closed for renovation, with the doors set to re-open on 4 October 2017.
Loaded homemade burgers, craft beers, ales and live sports add up to a solid reputation for the Cambridge Bar.
Forget the stereotypes: the Cambridge offers an unpretentiously warm welcome – quite literally, if you get a seat by the open fire – to all walks of life, including dogs. Vegetarians and meat-eaters alike fight for a place on the snug leather sofas to sample their gourmet burgers. The patty comes in a choice of locally sourced buffalo, 100% Scottish beef, chicken, or bean, with over twenty inventive topping combinations to ensure a towering feast, popularly complemented by Cajun fries. To follow, the fudgy cocoa brownie or Mackie’s ice-cream milkshakes tick all the right boxes. Ask for the tray of hot sauces and test your tolerance with the fiery red-dotted Hot-Headz chocolate habanero. If you can’t handle the heat there’s always a chilled craft beer or Scottish ale from the rotating IPA tap to wash it down. A projector screen showing live sports ensures an excitable, tense atmosphere and when there are no big fixtures on the pub reminisces to 80s and 90s rock classics.
- High point: Hard to get a table when the rugby’s on
- Low point: Leading Edinburgh’s burger boom by example
- Notable dish: Fajita burger with 6oz Puddledub buffalo
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: 80s, 90s and classic rock
- Live entertainment: Quiz every Monday
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 17
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle