Fishers in the City
- Telephone 0131 225 5109
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Open until 10.45pm during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10.15pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6pm.
- Average price £14 (set lunch); £27.00 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14
- Website www.fishersrestaurantgroup.co.uk
Reliable seafood eatery where the ‘Fishers Favourites’ menu and crowd-pleasing formula has built a loyal clientele.
This review is taken from the current (2016) edition.
Fishers in the City has gained a loyal clientele over the last 15 years through its winning formula of simplicity and reliability. It’s ‘Fishers Favourites’ menu contains crowd-pleasing seafood staples such as mussels, fish soup, fish cakes and fish and chips, while the à la carte menu offers an opportunity to push the boat out a bit more, with pan-fried cod, whole lemon sole, oven-roasted sea bass and sharing platters of hot shellfish and paella. This place exudes a quiet confidence, but there are hints of complacency from the kitchen, with ‘hand-cut chips with lemon and rosemary salt cooked in beef dripping’ arriving at the table tasting almost as bland as caterpack freezer fries. Some of the more unusual dishes shine though, such as red wine-poached halibut – the jus adding a pleasing purple exterior and unexpected meatiness to the fish. With a separate vegetarian menu, decent lunch and pre-theatre deals and plenty of wines by the glass, Fishers in the City won’t be changing its formula any time soon, so it’s really up to how you interpret what it does –- utterly dependable or a little bit dull?
- High point: When it ain't broke, don’t fix it
- Low point: Things can become boring when they never change
- Notable dish: 'Fishers favourites' fish and chips
- Private dining: Up to 44 covers
- Provides: Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle