Fishers in the City
- Telephone 0131 225 5109
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Open until 11pm during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6pm.
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.fishersrestaurantgroup.co.uk
With its atmospheric room and impressive selection of seafood, this city-centre stalwart continues to draw in local regulars and those from further afield.
Fishers in the City is well-established as a trusty, dependable and stylish haunt right in the heart of town. A place that’s good for after-work dinner with friends or a weekend lunch with family; a place that feels like a treat without being overly fussy or pretentious. Part of the same family that runs Fishers on the Shore, but quite different in style and menu, it’s more like a friendly cousin than a younger sister to its Leith counterpart. The focus here is on fish but there is also a vegetarian menu if you ask for it and some meat dishes sprinkled here and there. The venerable Fishers favourites menu ticks off the staples of fish soup, fishcakes, mussels and oysters. The à la carte steps into more adventurous territory – baked rarebit smoked haddock; Orkney scallops with wild mushroom velouté and potato and kale gratin; or the fish of the day with cauliflower purée, chickpea croquette and shallot hollandaise. For the most part, dishes are executed well although the seasoning can miss the mark from time to time. There is a lot to like here, and although it might not be a life-changing experience, it’s still a good central spot for family dinners, graduations, leaving parties and occasions where multiple tastes and styles need to be accounted for.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening 70s and 80s
- Capacity: 82
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 41
- House wine: £19.75 per bottle