Fishers in the City
- Telephone 0131 225 5109
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Open until 11pm during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6pm.
- Pre-theatre price £15
- Website www.fishersrestaurantgroup.co.uk
Popular city centre eatery with enviable reputation for quality Scottish fish and seafood.
For a large city centre restaurant, Fishers has a surprisingly intimate feel, with its low lighting, neutral colours and fishing bric-a-brac. Split into three areas, the most popular seats are by the tank of fish (purely ornamental not destined for dinner). This is the younger, bigger sister to Fishers in Leith, and though the menu is different, the casual bistro-style dining is the same. The Fishers favourites are an unchanging list of popular choices such as hefty fishcakes, smoky chowder or fish and chips. Things get more interesting on the à la carte with fillets of firm-fleshed brill on a bed of bacon-spiked cabbage or hake paired with dense, rich morcilla. Puddings are well-executed staples such as sticky toffee pudding or a crème brûlée. The cooking is reliable rather than adventurous making it a safe bet for visitors and locals alike. It can get very busy, and it’s not unusual for corporate clients to book out whole areas at certain times, so check in advance.
- Private dining: Up to 35 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: pop music
- Capacity: 82
- Largest group: 35
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 32
- House wine: £17.75 per bottle