Fishers in the City
- Telephone 0131 225 5109
- Opening times Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Seasonal times Open until 11pm during the Edinburgh Festival.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6pm.
- Pre-theatre price £16
- Website www.fishersrestaurants.co.uk
With its atmospheric dining room and impressive selection of seafood, this city-centre stalwart continues to draw in local regulars and those from further afield.
Having benefitted from a cosmetic makeover and a menu revamp at the start of 2019, Fishers’ city-centre operation is raring to go. The room offers an assortment of nooks and crannies at the front before opening up into a more capacious space at the back. The menu is unapologetic in its devotion to seafood and even extends onto a shellfish specials list. Polenta and parmesan crumbed cod (think posh fish fingers) comes with an excellent hazelnut pesto but is outdone by langoustine tails with cockles and giant couscous. Main of Loch Duart salmon with mushrooms in a radish dashi broth is light with an Asian twist, while crab spaghetti vongole is indulgent and comforting, the chilli and garlic leaving taste buds gently buzzing. Dessert options feature several old favourites including a delightful crème brûlée. The comprehensive drinks list is especially good for champagne and wines by the glass (the pricier ones dispensed via the Coravin system) and service is attentive without being overbearing. Their set lunch deal extends all the way up to 6pm, giving you an early-evening dining option that doesn’t break the bank.
- Private dining: Up to 40 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 82
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2001
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 40
- House wine: £20.50 per bottle